How to dress for a musical?
Dressing for a Musical: A Guide to Choosing the Right Outfit for the Theater
Going to a musical for the first time with your beloved other half and have no idea what to wear? A musical, like opera or theater, has its own standards and etiquette, which you have to conform to. It’s not just about appropriate behavior, but also about the outfit you come to the musical in. Therefore, in this article you will find some orientation tips, as well as suggestions on how to dress for a musical.
What to wear to the theater for a musical?
A musical is a more or less formal event where you want to experience with other people high culture or humorous fun of the show. Since it is a social event, a certain amount of decency and courtesy is expected of you, which you express by what you wear to the musical.
In the following lines, we will go through some tips on how men and women should or should not dress and what to wear to a musical.
What should a woman wear to a musical?
Unlike men, women always have things a little more complicated when it comes to choosing clothes. This also applies to events such as a musical. Since it is a formal event, some types of clothing should definitely not be worn (unless you are going there to provoke), while others are strongly recommended.
What you can wear to a musical
- Medium length dress- perfect for all ages
- Pants – if you don’t like to expose too much
- Skirt – very appropriate in summer
- Jewelry – simply a must have
- Jacket or sweater – suitable for winter
- Neckerchief – perfect for all kinds of outfits
- Small handbag
- Ballerinas – for a comfortable evening
What you shouldn’t wear to a musical
- Flip-flops for the beach – the very sound of them would be troublesome for you
- Short-sleeved shirt – very inappropriate
- Prints / logos / inscriptions – very unsuitable for musicals
- Huge bag / purse
- Evening dress – you are not going to the opera, better avoid it
- Hats – do not take them if you are going with friends or sitting next to each other, with a hat you can also mislead the people sitting behind you.
What clothes to choose for the musical?
You’ve probably already noticed that while there are certain rules regarding outfits for a musical, you still have a wide range of outfits to choose from.
Whether you’re a fan of classic dresses, unconventional outfits or even corsets, you can engage some imagination and choose a combination of things your closet offers, or you can stick to a more traditional outfit in which you won’t come off badly.
Dresses for a musical
Nothing can be done wrongly with a dress and you can easily take it to a musical performance.
If you have some nice black evening dresses and don’t want to think and speculate, be sure to wear them.
Combine them with nice shoes, a great hairstyle, elegant makeup and you’re good to go.
Outfit for a musical
If you are not a fan of dresses, you can experiment a little with other types of clothing and their combination, for example: try to combine black tight jeans with a nice shirt or blouse.
Add evening sandals, and as an accessory, take a nice necklace that will match your outfit.
Leather clothing, especially dresses, are very suitable for slim women (but this is not a rule), as they can wrap nicely and accentuate a woman’s curves. However, when wearing leather clothing, avoid lighter colors, stick to dark colors such as black or brown.
If you are one of the bolder women, you can show a little more with a shorter leather skirt (but don’t overdo it!) or a deeper neckline (also in moderation).
Include some nice jewelry, whether in the form of earrings, a necklace, bracelet or even a ring, and you can go and have fun.
As such, corsets are a somewhat specific type of closet. If you’re a fan of corsets and have one available for an event like this, then you can go for it.
Depending on the type, a variety of clothing can be paired with a corset, from a smart blazer to a slim skirt or even leather pants. It’s up to you.
What should a man wear to a musical?
Men have it a little easier when it comes to dressing for a musical, as they can basically only choose between two clothing options, formal and informal (or less formal). However, even for them, there are certain rules to follow, possibly what they should and should not wear to a musical.
What you can wear to a musical
- Dressing not too extravagantly or wildly in the theater is a courtesy
- Suit, tie and smart pants are standard
- Jacket / suit
- Closed shoes are more preferred
- Dark socks
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Tie / bow tie
What you shouldn’t wear to a musical
- Denim jacket will give you a too casual appearance, beware of it
- Shorts/shorts are for the beach, not for a musical
- Regular jeans are for everything but musicals
- Slippers or sandals
- Bright or colorful socks
- Hats and caps
What clothes to wear to a musical should I choose?
Basically, men can wear anything in which they look formal, respectful and, most importantly, decent.
If you don’t want to think too much about what you should wear to a musical, go for a classic dark suit / tuxedo, or you can try the options below.
Elegant formal look
Elegant black pants, a white shirt without a tie, buckled shoes and a blazer is a modern classic that will make you look fresh, elegant and great, regardless of your age.
You can easily attend a musical in this outfit.
In winter you can’t go crazy with your outfit because you have to wear several layers. In this case, you can try to wear a sweater with formal pants and an elegant coat.
In such a minimalist trio you will look very elegant and simple at the same time.
The combination of black and white
If you don’t want to think too much when choosing clothes, go for black and white, that is, black pants, a black jacket, black shoes and a white shirt. In such an outfit you will look elegant and respectful, but at the same time a little daring.
More articles about how to dress properly and appropriately:
Etiquette at the musical
Since many people are unaware of what, in addition to appropriate clothing, they should watch out for, or how to behave during the musical, we have some orientation tips for you at the end:
- Dress for the musical as it should be. This is a special event where you are expected to be a little respectful, elegant and polite. This is a social norm which should be followed.
- Come on time. Being late shows disrespect to the people on stage.
- Go to the restroom before the musical starts, don’t run during the musical.
- Do not consume anything during the performance, it is very rude.
- Don’t turn around during the performance (unless you have a very important reason), you disturb others around you.
- Do not talk during the show, it is the ultimate of indecency.
- Do not talk during set changes unless necessary.
- Remove your hat/headgear (or don’t take it with you) before entering the musical.
- Avoid strong perfumes and fragrances. Use such products only in moderation.
- But don’t forget to freshen your breath, so menthol is recommended.
- Respect the space around you during the performance.
- Turn off mobile devices. There is nothing worse than a ringing phone at a show.
- Do not sing during the musical unless the actors themselves ask the audience to do so. This is considered indecent.
- Show appreciation with applause when it’s right and at the end of the performance.
Do you have any other ideas on what to wear to the musical? Advise others in the comments below the article.